Welcome To


Utility District of Tennessee


For a copy of your 2023 Water Quality Report/CCR access this link.

Huntsville Utility District was formed in 1957 to serve the water needs of the Huntsville area. Since then, our role has expanded to serving the entire southern most portion of Scott County and a small portion of Morgan County. We also supply Plateau Utility and Oneida Water during times of need.

What began with a small office on Hwy 63 has grown into a stand alone water plant and purification facility. Huntsville Utility began serving only 272 customer in the summer of 1964. Over the years of expansion and growth, Huntsville Utility has made many changes.

In the summer of 1970, water lines were expanded into the southern portion of Scott County into the Robbins community. In June of 1973, Huntsville Utility acquired Robbins Utility District.

In the 1980’s, the new water plant became a reality. The purpose was to draw raw water from the reservoir that was to be located behind the water plant. This allowed Huntsville Utility to expand the water supply to Norma, further into the Robbins area and on into Rugby.

In the 1990’s. the water plant was updated and the reservoir was under construction. In the Spring of 2002 the reservoir was complete.

HUD now has 11 pump stations, 4 elevated water tanks in several key areas of the county, over 330 miles of water line and over 5,000 customers.

Dig safely by calling Tennessee 811 at 811, three business days before you
plan to dig. Then, wait for Huntsville Utility to mark their lines.

Respect the markings and dig with care. Tennessee 811 operates
24-hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days of the year.

Frequently asked questions

No.  The responsibility of HUD ends at the water meter.  Beyond the meter, HUD did not lay that line so we wouldn’t know where it would be located.

Yes.  To qualify for a leak adjustment, your water usage must be triple the usage you normally use.  To determine your adjusted amount, we use your usage for a year, divide by 12 months and times it by 3.  If the usage of your leak is 3 times the usage we have determined, then you will get an adjustment on the water.  If you have sewer we will send your usage for that leak to the sewer department and THEY will adjust your sewer portion.

You must have a current bill to do this process. You must enter the service address, as it appears on your bill.  This is found in the middle, just above the usage amount.  

If this doesn’t work, email [email protected] with your name as it is on the bill, physical address, and phone number.  You will be emailed a link to continue the registration process.

HUD is responsible for the lines and water quality up to the point of connection with the customers private water line (the meter box).  Once the water passes the meter, the Utility no longer has control over what types of materials are used or where the line is placed.

Therefore, the customer becomes responsible for any leaks beyond the meter box or the water reaching the home or structure.


A minimum bill for water is $21.52 from 0-2000 gallons.  You get this charge for service availability. If you have sewer then there will also be a minimum bill as well.  If you any questions about your sewer, your can reach Town of Huntsville at 423-663-3471 and Town of Oneida at 423-569-6311.

You have access to water and this is what this minimum bill if for, up to 2000 gallons.  Please see the Information tab at the top for water rates beyond 2000 gallons of usage.

Call the office at 423-663-3550 at anytime, day or night, and chose option #2.  Though the week you will get someone in the office but on weekends, nights or holidays you will still use option #2 but it will go to our after hours operator.


Yes, there is a processing fee.  The fee is $2.50 for the first $50.  Then after that, it is 2.8% of the remaining amount.

You can use Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express.

Pay Online or Over the Phone

We offer the ability to pay your bill online, as well as over the phone through our automated IVR system. To pay online, simply click the Pay Online button located at the top right of the page. To pay by phone, you can call the automated system at (877) 653-0674.